Airway clearance technology is an effective alternative to traditional suctioning methods.
Philips Respironics, a unit of Royal Philips Electronics has received 510(k) clearance to market its latest advancement in airway clearance technology for enhanced patient care in the hospital or in the home. The new CoughAssist T70 provides an effective, comfortable alternative to traditional suctioning methods and may minimize the risk of pneumonia and infections that can lead to hospital readmissions.
"Philips Respironics is dedicated to providing patients, their caregivers and clinical teams with innovative solutions that improve patient care," says Jay Vreeland, director, North American marketing, home respiratory, Philips Home Healthcare Solutions. "The CoughAssist T70 couples clinically-proven technology with evolutionary enhancements that make it simpler to operate, conveniently flexible and more sensitive to the user's breathing pattern for a more natural treatment."
The CoughAssist T70 next generation device incorporates proven technology that's effective, and easy to use. It clears secretions from the lungs by gradually applying positive air pressure to the airway and then rapidly shifting to negative air pressure. The shift in pressure creates a high expiratory flow that simulates a deep, natural cough. Instead of introducing a suction catheter into the airway, air is delivered through a facemask, a mouthpiece or through a simple adapter that allows the device to function with an endotracheal or tracheostomy tube, reducing discomfort and risk of infection. In addition, new design and technology updates have been developed to enhance patient and clinician use.
- Cough-Trak – A unique triggering feature with automatic sensitivity allows patients to initiate therapy and synchronize treatment with their own breathing pattern
- Portability – Weighing less than 9 lbs., it is compact, lightweight and easy to transport
- Flexibility – In addition to AC and DC power options, a detachable lithium ion battery allows up to four treatments on a single charge
- Ease of use – A user-friendly digital interface and preset prescriptions simplify setup and initiating therapy
- Results – New data management software allows patients and caregivers to monitor tidal volume, peak cough flow and oxygen saturation levels to enhance therapy effectiveness
The CoughAssist T70 comes with an SD card, hose clip, air filter, patient circuit, adult mask, carrying case, and AC power cord.