Cleveland, Ohio – The National Robotics League (NRL) announced today the finalists competing at the 2014 NRL Championships that will be held at the Lou Higgins Center at Baldwin Wallace University in Berea, Ohio on May 16-17, 2014. NRL is a metal-crunching and heart-pounding robot wars competition sponsored by the National Tooling and Machining Association (NTMA) to introduce a new generation of Americans to manufacturing. NRL partners teams of middle school, high school, and post-secondary school students with local NTMA manufacturers to build robots designed to do battle.
The 2014 National Championships will feature 51 student teams from 33 schools who have competed in NRL-sanctioned competitions across the U.S., including 2013 defending grand champion Eastern Westmoreland CTC from Latrobe, PA. Team interviews and safety inspections will take place on Friday, May 16. The competition will take place on Saturday, May 17, with the awards ceremony scheduled for 6:30 p.m.
NRL has also added a new education program that is free and open to the public. The program features seminars on a range of manufacturing and NRL-related topics and feature presentations by AWT Robobots, DEPCO, LLC, NASA Glenn Research Center, PiMios, and the Reshoring Initiative.
NRL local and national sponsors include: AgieCharmilles, Akron NTMA Chapter, Big Kaiser Precision Tooling Inc., Boston Centerless, DEPCO LLC, Grainger, Homeyer Precision Manufacturing, Latrobe, LLC, Mosey Production Machinists, National Tooling and Machining Foundation, Northwest Pennsylvania NTMA Chapter, PartnerShip, PiMios, Royal Products, Sandvik Coromant, and Voss.
The following schools have qualified to compete in the 2014 NRL Championships:
- Ashtabula County Technical and Career Campus – Jefferson, OH
- NIHF STEM High School – Akron, OH
- Beaumont School – Cleveland Heights, OH
- North High School –North St. Paul, MN
- Bloomsburg Area High School – Bloomsburg, PA
- Oakwood Jr/Sr High School – Dayton, OH
- Centerville High School – Centerville, OH
- Ohio University – Athens, OH
- Clairton High School – Clairton, PA
- Penncrest School District – Saegertown, PA
- Cleveland Heights High School – Cleveland Heights, OH
- Plum Borough School District – Pittsburgh, PA
- Cochranton High School – Cochranton, PA
- Propel Braddock Hills High School - Pittsburgh, PA
- Derry Area High School – Derry, PA
- Providence High School – Burbank, CA
- Dunwoody College of Technology – Minneapolis, MN
- Ringgold High School – Monongahela, PA
- East CLC – Akron, OH
- Riverside High School – Painesville, OH
- EWCTC – Latrobe, PA
- Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology – Terre Haute, IN
- Four Cities Educational Compact – Wadsworth, OH
- South Park High School – South Park, PA
- Frazier High School – Perryopolis, PA
- Universidad de Puerto Rico Mayaguez Campus – Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
- Greater Latrobe High School – Latrobe, PA
- University of South Florida – Tarpon Springs, FL
- Hempfield Area High School – Greensburg, PA
- Upper Valley Career Center – Piqua, OH
- Madison High School – Madison, OH
- Villa Angela- St. Joseph H. S. – Cleveland, OH
Additional information including photos and video from past competitions is also available on the NRL website at www.gonrl.org.
Source: National Robotics League (NRL)