U.S. and International Supply Chain Leaders to Convene for Global GS1 Healthcare Conference on Patient Safety and Supply Chain Security
Healthcare leaders from private industry and government agencies will share progress of worldwide efforts to implement GS1 Standards that improve patient safety, supply chain security, and efficiency during the Global GS1 Healthcare Conference taking place in San Francisco, October 1-3, 2013, at the Hilton San Francisco Financial District. Speakers from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), California Board of Pharmacy, McKesson, Johnson & Johnson, Mercy, Pfizer, and Premier will share best practices for implementing GS1 Standards in healthcare.
More than 250 participants from hospitals, manufacturers, distributors, industry associations, government and regulatory agencies from 25 countries are expected to attend the conference. The three-day conference, themed “GS1 Standards in Action,” is hosted by GS1 Healthcare US, an industry standards group focused on driving the implementation of GS1 Standards in the United States.
“With patient safety at stake, industry and governments worldwide are in lock-step to create strategies that will enable healthcare participants to take better charge of the product data that flows throughout the supply chain, both domestically and internationally,” says Michael Pheney, vice president of healthcare, GS1 US. “The conference offers global healthcare supply chain professionals insight about standards implementation strategies and progress as well as industry and regulatory developments in automatic identification, traceability, and data synchronization.”
Speakers represent multiple facets of the global healthcare supply chain, hailing from government agencies, regulatory bodies, healthcare industry associations, U.S. group purchasing organizations, hospitals, manufacturers, distributors, and retailers. Highlights include:
- An opening plenary session focused on unique device identification (UDI) with speakers from the U.S. FDA, the Japanese Ministry for Health Welfare and Labour, and others.
- A session focused on hospital implementation of GS1 Standards, with presentations by providers including Mercy (U.S.) and Hospital Aleman (Argentina).
- Presentations by international organizations and regulatory agencies, including the World Customs Organisation and California Board of Pharmacy.
- Perspectives from suppliers, including Johnson & Johnson, Pfizer, and McKesson.
- Closing keynote about bedside scanning by Mark Neuenschwander, an expert in drug dispensing automation and barcode point-of-care systems.
In addition, participants will be able to take part in implementation sessions centered on the FDA Global Unique Device Identification Database, California ePedigree Law requirements, and GS1 Standards implementation case studies.
For the conference agenda, a complete list of speakers, and to register for the GS1 Global Healthcare Conference, visit www.gs1.org/healthcare/news_events/011013. Healthcare providers are eligible for complimentary registration.
For more information about GS1 US, visit www.gs1us.org.