In an increasingly complex manufacturing marketplace, industrial technology innovator Kennametal is again raising the standard of high-performance machining. Marked by Different Thinking, the Kennametal lineup includes innovative modular drills, first-to-market asymmetric Y-TECH drills, proprietary flat-bottom drills, solid-carbide taps particularly for mild steels, and much more.
By creating an impressive collection of standard-option, application-specific platforms for any diameter, feed rate, or hole quality, Kennametal´s comprehensive portfolio offers a wide variety of solutions feasible for virtually any machining requirement. With a global presence, the company is able to serve customers worldwide with the most complete offering of tooling technologies and customized solutions, as well as regrinding services and engineering support.
From the initial drilling of the hole to finishing and tapping, Kennametal´s Holemaking Team supports customers with industry-leading tooling and knowledge-based solutions proven in both manufacturing and application. From design and engineering to finish-ground coated tools, the Kennametal Holemaking Team exemplifies the highest degree of care and vertical integration, managing each vital step in-house. Kennametal´s expansive Holemaking Portfolio is thoroughly detailed in the new 2013 Kennametal Innovations Master Cutting Tools catalog. The book highlights the company´s new products, including those most eagerly awaited by manufacturers in this fast-paced market. The following advances to the Kennametal Holemaking Portfolio prove that Kennametal is prepared to meet and exceed any challenges:
1) The GOdrill, Kennametal´s first microdrill that works with multiple applications and multiple materials. The
GOdrill goes beyond solid carbide drilling and expands the advantages of modular drilling. While modular drilling is limited to certain diameter ranges, the GOdrill fills the gap for diameters starting at 1mm (.0394").
2) The YPC Beyond Drill for cast iron, another successful solid-carbide drill platform, is specifically
engineered to deliver best-in-class hole quality and the longest tool life in cast iron, ductile iron, CGI, and ADI. The YPC Beyond Drill combines a number of proprietary Kennametal technologies to deliver outstanding performance. Y-TECH technology incorporates asymmetrical flute spacing, while the HP-point geometry provides excellent reentering capabilities at the highest possible feed rates, and the new KCK10 grade offers exceptional wear resistance with superior chip evacuation.
3) The KSEM Modular Drill System offers extended length and drill diameters up to 40mm (1.575"), and hole depths of up to 10 x D are standard. The KSEM PLUS™ Modular Drill System combines these benefits of the KSEM Modular Drill with the advantages of an indexable drill. It effectively replaces HSS and indexable drilling tool solutions in the diameter range of 28mm to 70mm (1.102” to 2.756") while lending itself to specific applications required by customers in the energy market. As the industry benchmark for large-diameter drilling applications, the KSEM PLUS has an extended range that significantly reduces cost per hole. The enhanced capabilities of KSEM PLUS B1 Heads are capable of drilling through stacked materials and inclined exits, as well as drilling through cross-holes and interrupted-cut conditions.
4) The Romicron Fine-Boring, PCD tooling portfolio features an impressive diameter range of 4mm to 213mm while reducing setup times and scrap rates and increasing overall equipment efficiency. This premium fine-boring system is suited for most materials commonly found in metalcutting environments, applying the latest Kennametal Standard ISO Turning Inserts. Its closed loop boring (CLB) provides a unique capability to automate the insert wear compensation with minimal investment due to the precise 2μm diameter adjustment per increment. The Romicron tooling should be used where extremely close tolerances are critical to the overall process or where fast and easy diameter adjustments are needed.
5) The ModBORE Fine-Boring System utilizes standard ISO and ANSI turning inserts for maximum performance and flexibility. From highly flexible roughing and fine-boring heads to large bridge tooling, this premium boring line addresses a wide range of diameters, from 9.75mm to 2205mm — all in one system. The ModBORE can be used for most metalcutting materials, with versatile cartridges that can be incorporated into standard boring heads for added flexibility.
6) The extensive and expanded portfolio of Kennametal Taps includes Beyond™ Solid Carbide Taps, HSS-E-PM Taps, Wind Energy Taps, and General Purpose Taps:
- Solid Carbide Taps offer higher productivity and outstanding performance in a wider range of materials than formerly possible, and the High-Performance High-Speed Steel (HSS-E-PM) Taps, manufactured from powder metal high-speed steel and engineered for far greater wear and heat resistance, are a critical part of the machining process, demanding high productivity and reliable thread quality.
- The new high-performance, large-sized HSS-E-PM Wind Taps, developed for manufacturers of mission-critical wind turbine components like hubs, rings, and gearbox housings, increase productivity while keeping up with complex demand for such components.
- A wide selection of General Purpose Taps offers thread-cutting and thread-forming solutions for any industrial application. Produced with the highest quality materials, the new T920 Series Spiral-Point Taps have an optimized flute design for lower tapping torque with an improved neck design for more efficient coolant flow. The next generation of forming taps, the KHSST Forming Taps, eliminate troublesome chips that clog and break taps with plug and bottoming chamfers.
7) Kennametal´s successful Indexable Drilling platforms can be highlighted in two series: the Drill Fix Series for short holes and the HTS Series for deep holes. The Drill Fix Series Indexable Drills are the optimal choice for drilling short holes, providing a high-speed, cost-effective solution:
- The Drill Fix DFR line offers maximum feed rates at a diameter range of 12.5mm to24mm at 2-4 x D applications. Its rectangular-shaped inboard and outboard inserts enable soft starting cuts and short chips, as well as higher feed rates.
- The Drill Fix DFS line combines an economical squared insert with the superior centering capabilities of the trigon inboard insert. It offers increased metal removal rates, high surface quality, and improved hole straightness.
- Particular applications. The Drill Fix DFT™ line, available in the diameter range 24mm to 82mm, is a versatile and reliable tool solution with a large portfolio of lengths, insert geometries, and grades.
8) Kennametal´s HTS Series indexable deep-hole drilling system drills are designed for deep-hole drilling of up to 10 x D, ideal for steel, stainless steel, ductile iron, cast iron, and non-ferrous materials. The three HTS systems, HTS-C, HTS, and HTS-R, cover a diameter range of 20mm to 270mm:
- The HTS-C indexable drills benefit from the flute helix design that provides excellent chip evacuation and extends the life of the tool body. When used at reduced feeds and cutting speeds, it also can be applied on older or low-power machines.
- HTS drill heads are equipped with pilot drills and cartridges using trigon-shaped Drill Fix DFT inserts. It is one of the most reliable deep-hole drilling systems available.
- With the HTS-R, up to 30% higher feed rates are achievable using rectangular-shaped Drill Fix DFR inserts — which deliver the added benefit of chip control. The same insert size can be used in each insert cartridge